This weekend, American Craft Endeavors will be coming to The Villages for the Craft Festival at Colony Plaza. With so many artists joining in to bring this top-rated craft festival to this unique and energetic area, it goes without saying that we are really happy to be going there for our fourth annual event.
We chose The Villages because, like the crafters and artists that participate in American Craft Endeavors events, The Villages is a very special, very unique place. Here are a few little-known facts about The Villages, taken from The Villages Florida Book online.
• The Villages, occupying parts of Lake, Sumter and Marion counties, is designated as an over-55 adult community, with 80% of its homes occupied by at least one person who is over the age of 55. There are only three village subdivisions designated as “family units.” In every other area, visitors younger than 55 can visit for up to 30 days a year only, with appropriate paperwork from the village.
• Live dancing, entertainment and happy hours happen all day and evening at three town squares – Lake Sumter Landing, Spanish Springs and Brownwood. In addition, there are eight grocery stores and over 100 places to eat.
• In 2011, The Villages home sales accounted for nearly one percent of all homes sold in the United States. With a population that grows by an average of 4,500 each year and 20 people a day, it surpassed the 100,000 in 2013.
• Residents of The Villages are avid golfers. In fact, it is estimated that, by the time all building is finished in The Villages, there will be 12 championship courses in operation. With an average 10,000 possible tee times available each day, last year over 55,000 residents teed off at one of their local courses, for a total of over two-and-a-half MILLION rounds of golf and over six million total miles driven around the golf course.
• The Villages is also the pickleball capital of the world. With over 100 courts within the municipality, people from all over the country visit The Villages to play this combination of racket sports like ping pong, badminton and tennis. The game started over 45 years ago in Washington state and gradually made its way to all 50 states in just a decade.
• The number of survivors of sudden cardiac arrest in The Villages is significantly higher than the national 6-percent average at a whopping 44 percent – in fact, about seven times higher than national average. This high survival rate is attributed to the large number of CPR-trained Villagers in the area, as well as the large number of neighborhood CPR programs.
These are just some of the interesting facts that can be seen at The Villages every day. The area is truly beautiful, the people are friendly and the air is one of joy and relaxation – all reasons why we love bringing the country’s best crafters and artisans here to share their unique and wonderful work.
This weekend, meet these fine crafters, get some holiday shopping out of the way and get yourself a lovely and one-of-a-kind piece to cherish in your collection of handcrafted items. From jewelry to pet gifts, from purely decorative to fully functional pieces, there will be something for every budget at The Villages Craft Festival at Colony Plaza. And with price ranges that fit every budget, there’s no doubt that you’ll find something incredible to cherish for years to come.
Get to know The Villages this weekend at The 4th Annual Villages Craft Festival at Colony Plaza Sat., Sept 21 and Sunday, Sept. 22 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Admission is free and open to all ages. Find out more about the Villages Craft Festival and other events by American Craft Endeavors at www.artfestival.com. And don’t forget to join our social media communities on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram today!