Sure, it’s still winter in many places around the U.S. (we’re looking at you, Northeast). But in our minds, we’re already looking forward to the sights, sounds and scents of spring! Why wait? This weekend, at the 6th Annual The Villages Craft Festival, start building your collection of natural scents with handmade soaps, lotions, and candles by some of our favorite participating crafters.
We all love indulging in products that make us smell good, but it’s even better when they are good for us. That’s why we love that so many of our crafters are in the business of giving their customers healthy, organic and yummy-scented product alternatives to add to their bath and body collection.
Why go handmade? There are a few benefits. Some ingredients in traditional, store-bought products can be harsh on your skin, instigating or aggravating skin conditions like rashes and dry, flaky skin. In contrast, many of the natural, handcrafted products contain combinations of essential oils (like lavender oil) and natural products (like honey) that can not only relieve the symptoms of itchy, irritated skin, but they can restore your skin to its original, healthy glow.
In addition, scents like lavender, chamomile, vanilla and ylang-ylang have been known to help stimulate relaxation and sleep. Peppermint is an eye-opener, perfect for that beginning-of-day energy boost. Lemon and citrus scents have soothing and calming properties that add that touch of freshness and airiness you’re looking for.
Whichever of these you love, we know you’ll find some amazing combinations this weekend at Lake Sumter Landing in The Villages. And what an inspirational place to get your collection started! Lake Sumter Landing is one of our favorite places to visit; it’s so relaxing, laid-back and friendly, it would be impossible not to get in the mood for an early spring at The Villages.
Not sure where to start looking for candles, soaps and other body care products? Check out these wonderful vendors at this weekend’s craft festival:
• Lisa Glenn, Abike Natural. This very special all-natural product line was borne of a visit to a nutritionist and a lifestyle change for better health. Eight years later, the Abike Natural line has products for virtually every application. Every product is handcrafted with love and health in mind, so don’t miss them!
• Shannon Barr, Gulf Coast Soap Company. We love the Gulf Coast Soap Company’s wide variety of specialty handmade soaps. They smell great, feel awesome, and with vibrant, eclectic colors and looks, they’re like little pieces of soap art. Perfect for gifts.
• Lisa Hagan, The Soap Makery. From soaps to shampoo bars, from moisturizers to lip balms, there is nothing that The Soap Makery can’t tackle, and tackle well! We love their unique scent combinations (spearmint and orange, anyone?) as well as their decadent bestseller, Oatmeal & Honey.
• Stacey Beasley, Ivy Mist Candles. You can’t draw the perfect bath without the perfect candles, and Ivy Mist delivers! You can’t go home without your favorite scent in candle form, whether you’re all about the clean, the florals, or the novelty scents. Bring on the Chocolate Extreme!
• Everett Cooper, Homestyle Bath & Body. The name here says it all — good ole’ home-style bath and body products that nurture your skin and awaken the senses. Stock up on your favorite quirky lip balms like Smile and Be Cherry, Dreamy Vanilla, and much more.
Get stocked up for a beautiful and relaxed spring this Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 21-22 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at Lake Sumter Landing in The Villages, for this weekend’s craft festival. Don’t forget to find us on Facebook and share our page with all of your friends.