With the debut of the Virginia Beach Downtown Art Fair, we are excited to share with you some tips that will help you make the most of this brand new art event in the area.
Art festivals are fun and exciting ways to get to know new and established local and national artists, all in a relaxing and friendly outdoor atmosphere. It’s the perfect place to bring your family and friends, introduce kids to the concept of artistic expression, and just spend a nice Saturday or Sunday afternoon in the company of like-minded folks who enjoy art. But there are many factors that can put a damper on your art festival experience if you’re not prepared; after all, it does take place outdoors, in a popular area of town that is bound to be crowded, and at the mercy of potential weather issues that may affect the festivities.
Preparation is key. Here are just a few tips to maximize your enjoyment out of this and any other art festival, so that you can get the most out of this unique experience.
• Plan ahead. Whether you’ve been planning to attend for weeks or you’ve decided the morning of the event that you’d like to attend, planning ahead will save you some stress in the future. Find out about available public transportation that can get you there and back without the hassle of parking. Become familiar with the area where the festival will be and, if driving, find out about parking in the area. Plan to arrive early enough to park somewhere you’ll be comfortable and, if you find out where the entrances are, be sure to snag some parking close by.
• Prepare for the weather. Outdoor events are woefully vulnerable to things like rain, so it’s important to either bring an umbrella, or to pack a couple of ponchos in your fanny pack. Trust us, they will come in handy when you least expect them to.
• Stay hydrated. Bottled water is your friend at the art festival. There’s nothing worse that walking around outside and feeling faint from dehydration or heat exhaustion. Also, become familiar with where the food vendors, if any, are located. This will help you make a beeline for the food truck in case you suddenly get hungry and you need a little pick-me-up.
• Bring a camera! No doubt you’ll want to make memories at the art festival, and we don’t blame you. That’s why you should bring something to make memories with. A smartphone with a camera is a great way to take a quick pic and share it instantaneously with your social media community or texting friends. See a piece you love? Be sure to ask an artist before you take pictures of his or her work.
• Wear comfortable clothing. Walking around outside can be daunting if you’re not dressed for it. Be sure to wear shoes that will be comfortable for you to walk around in. If heat is expected, be sure to wear clothing made of light materials that breathe. This will help keep your body cooled down and running appropriately.
At this weekend’s Virginia Beach Downtown Art Fair, Howard Alan Events is continuing the tradition of celebrating the arts as they’ve done for years across the United States. This debut show is tradition in the making and we are so excited to be bringing it to you.
Don’t miss local artists Faye Vander Veer and Karen Sutton, as they share their gorgeous art forms with the public. Also, be sure to catch artists like Brett Mason, John and Rosie Blowers, and John Granata, among others.
Join us Saturday and Sunday, April 25-26 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Town Center of Virginia Beach for the Virginia Beach Downtown Art Fair. Admission is free and open to the public. Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and be sure to check out our calendar at www.artfestival.com for upcoming shows.